Thursday, March 29, 2012

Creating Purpose

I had a really great suggestion from a reader to divide my list into larger categories in order to better understand the purpose behind my endeavors. Its not that I haven't thought about these things, but if I am going to chronicle my experience, perhaps others would like to understand my logic. Perhaps, the key to this whole process is going to be the articulation of my thoughts, and the interaction with those that are reading.

That having been said, the first category will be called: Act Your Ed.

I was in college for 6 years, I triple-majored as an undergrad, and have an MA. The issue is not that I don't use my education, nor is it that I don't speak articulately. I just don't have/use/exhibit that sort of sophisticated intelligence. Don't misunderstand what I am saying here. I am not trying to be the obnoxious know-it-all, in fact, it is quite the opposite. I have often looked up to those that can quote a great literary icon or leader, or those that can site great moments in history during a life lesson. I can't....or maybe I don't. So this first category will help me take some steps to get to that point. When I have kids, I will likely appreciate this ability a little more.

•Finish one of the many books that I have started, (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence, Les Miserable, Crime and Punishment)

•Watch a an academy award nominated movie, and pay attention to the things that make it so outstanding,

•Make a list of classic novels, and read them,

•Listen to an opposing opinion with an open mind (this will show up again!)

•Memorize 5 passages of famous lit, poetry or speeches,

•Become a connoisseur of something (this will also show up again),

•Build something

•Read at least two presidents autobiographies

No comments:

Post a Comment